Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Can you fake a genuine smile

A post on PsyBlog caught my attention this summer. The post describes the markers of a genuine smile. Faking a genuine smile could be a valuable asset as it engenders trust.

Researchers do actually conduct experiments into this subject. It appears that it is more difficult to fake than had been previously thought.

Click here to read the post.

7 comments:

  1. Some of the topics that are researched are so interesting. I would have to agree that you can't fake a genuine smile. I know from my own personal experience that people can always tell no matter how hard I try to be convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a big difference to smiling as opposed to showing your teeth for a picture. I think it's fairly easy to spot fake smile on the majority of people. Smiling encompasses an emotion, its hard to fake emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fake genuine smile can go a long way in society. I wouldn't admit to it if I could execute this well. I know some people who can fool me with a smile and some lies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there are very many people in this world who can fake a genuine smile! That is one of the first things I can point out in a picture is when I see somebody who is not really smiling and they are faking it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Ashley....I can almost always tell when someone is faking a smile! I would rather have no smile at all than a fake one anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really believe that you cannot fake a smile. Having performed a lot of Customer Service Positions I have put this to the test. Most people know if you are genuine or not. Even more insteresting is how they can hear your smile over the phone! It works just try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glenda
    I agree that you can tell if someone is smiling. I wonder if you could test that --- when you are smiling does the tone/pitch change? If you are faking a smile - would your voice betray you?

    ReplyDelete