Jessica Holzer writes in the Wall Street Journal:
"I think a lot of companies will be challenged, at least early on, with indeterminate situations where they just don't know" the origin of their supplies, said Mike Loch, head of Motorola Inc.'s supply-chain corporate responsibility program.
The reporting requirement, which had bipartisan backing in Congress, is an attempt to bring U.S. corporate pressure to bear on a bloody, 15-year conflict that foreign-policy critics say has received meager diplomatic and humanitarian attention from the West. Armed groups made roughly $185 million in 2008 from dealing in the four minerals named in the law, according to the Enough Project, a nonprofit group that lobbied for the requirement.
To read the article, click here.
Would you spurn a product if you knew it contained materials sourced from these areas?
ReplyDeleteI have not bought a diamond in years because of Sierra Leone, but would I refrain buying an ipod or cellphne - not sure -
Would you?
That would be a difficult situation sometimes. I wouldn't have a problem with not buying diamonds because I'm not a big jewlry person, but other things like computers or TVs would be a more difficult decision and I honestly don't know what I would do. I hope that I would research and inform myself about what components are in the item and go from there and not purchase blindly.
ReplyDeleteI saw a movie about conflict diamonds, but had not thought about it in terms of other minerals. I am already concerned about the pace at which we go through and discard electronic devices, moving on to the next, both for the environment and our economy. our nation is in debt, and how can we afford to continually buy all sorts of gadgets? i was talking with a small business owner yesterday who cannot afford health insurance for her family, but spends over $100/month on service for smart phone. (understand, this is used in the business as well...) but still seems ridiculous what we spend and consume.
ReplyDeleteI had not heard of this but I can see it as being an issue. I wonder if cobalt is sourced in any other areas as much as Africa? If not it will put manufacturers in a predicament because they will be strapped for sources of materials. People will not be willing to go without their smartphones or electronics. I beleive we are in a society now with regard to cellphones that a person feels lost and disconnected if they do not habve it with them at all times. So I wonder how much effect the conflict materials will have on a consumers purchase.
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine a life without the technology we have available to us today. I'm not sure that I could stop myself from buying these things even with issues such as the ones mentioned. I guess that's just the spoiled attitude we have (concerned with technology that is)..
ReplyDeleteInteresting article though. Thanks for sharing!
I would avoid a purchase that I knew supported conflict in Africa -- however I believe that would be very difficult to find out. This would be largely dependent on the media doing more to educate the public of this, and the government having an effective means of enforcing the legislation that was passed.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure why US Legislation rules against 'Conflict Minerals'. I am impressed with the Wall Street reform bill addressing Congo's conflict minerals which is potent provision. My understandings with U.S. legislations rules is whether the legislation is trying to curb the conflict minerals trade by conducting independent audits of their supply chains!?
ReplyDeleteInteresting topic to read though, grasped few memories in chemistry class...... enjoyed the blog!
I had not heard this, either. I can see the potential issues on the horizon. It seems technology impacts far more of our society (at all age levels) than diamonds in our comparison. For business and personal use, our smartphones keep us connected...we'll see what happens...very interesting!
ReplyDeleteWe actually just tracked where my fiancés diamond came from in her engagement ring and it appears to not be a blood diamond who knows if it is true or not though.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds good in theory. It will be hard for retailers to trace the products back to origins, especially with the minerals are in products that contain trace amounts. It seems easy for middleman to figure ways around by producing false documentation.
ReplyDeleteI am for this, but know they have some challenges ahead for policing.