Monday, December 7, 2009

Great tool for reading on the internet

If you haven't checked out "Readability" yet -- I highly recommend it. It is my second favorite toolbar add-on (next to Delicious); I have been using it for a couple of months and use it more everyday. Check out the article from the New York Times' David Pogue.

It’s a new button on your Web browser’s toolbar. With one click, it eliminates EVERYTHING from the Web page you’re reading except the text and photos. No ads, blinking, links, banners, promos or anything else.

The text is also changed to a beautiful font and size (you choose them in advance) and the background is made plain white (or a light shading of your choice). Basically, it makes any Web page look like a printed book page or a Kindle page, and it’s glorious.

I’ve never understood how people can read Web articles when there’s Times-Square blinking going on all around them. Fortunately, I’ll never have to put up with them again. One click does the trick, thanks to Readability—and it’s free. (You get it, and set it up, here. It’s what’s known as a bookmarklet; you install it in your Web browser just by dragging its button onto your toolbar.)

Click here to see the whole article.
Click here to get the bookmarklet.

2 comments: